Question: Clayton, did you really wake up this morning and scream "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!"
Answer: You bet I did.
Question: Clayton, do you really plan on screaming "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM" every morning you are in Vietnam.
Answer: You bet I do.
Yesterday's boat crossing from Cambodia to Vietnam was very interesting. The Cambodia boat portion was kind of dull, but upon arriving in Vietnam (after a somewhat clumsy border crossing on shore) we took a boat through the back waters of Vietnam. With the exception of modern textiles (t-shirts) and motors on boats, life looked as it might have 200 years ago. Single plank bridges (complete with rope railings) crossed the river in many places.
You may have heard of gun boat diplomacy... well I embarked on a campaign of smile boat diplomacy. This meant that everyone who went by got a wave and a smile. Of course the kids responded most favorably, but most of the adults did as well. In 99% of situations, you get what you give.
Our boat landed in Chau Doc (right by the Vietnam-Cambodia border). I decided to go ahead and take the 6 van ride into Ho Chi Minh City (which the locals still refer to as a Saigon... or as it is pronounced Sai Gon). On the ride, I met (among others) a 27-year old lady named Heiu (sounds like Hugh). It makes me laugh how I get the "are you married question?" and the follow up "why not?" within the first 5 minutes of most conversations. I told Heiu she sounded like my mother... and she told me women are the same everywhere. Heiu was on her way back to Sai Gon after visiting her home in the Mekong Delta (her accountant job is in Sai Gon). She too was not married and told me that she was focusing on making money and did not have time for a boyfriend (despite harrassment from her mother). This whole open market-communist experiment in China, Laos, and now Vietnam really throws me for a loop.
Upon arrival in Ho Chi Minh (HCM), I spent some time looking for a hotel/guest house. Always an adventure at 10:30pm. From there I found a banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) and headed to bed.
I am now taking a leisurely morning in a cafe. Just finished my ice coffee with sweet milk and will get back to Sai Gon.
On a slow connection and will post picture later!
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment